Share/Save

Eastmain - “Capital” of Eastern James Bay

Inlanders flocked to the Hudson’s Bay Company’s (HBC) trading post at Eastmain between 1775 and 1790 - Eastmain’s heyday - because the HBC had greatly improved its standard of trade.

Before that most inlanders preferred getting their supplies from traders from New France. Then, in 1793, many abandoned Eastmain for the newly-opened HBC post at Neoskweskau.

Others returned to the traders from Quebec City and Montreal who continued to be active inland.

Eastmain, 1806. Eastmain was the HBC’s centre of trade on  the east coast of James Bay from the early 1700s until the  early 1800s.

Eastmain, 1806. Eastmain was the HBC’s centre of trade on the east coast of James Bay from the early 1700s until the early 1800s.

Nathan Gunner excavating  FaFw-5, occupied in the late  1700s. Moose bones, unusual  for this time, were amongst the animal bones found here.

Nathan Gunner excavating FaFw-5, occupied in the late 1700s. Moose bones, unusual for this time, were amongst the animal bones found here.

Excavations at FaFw-5 revealed  multiple fireplaces, suggesting  the people were living in a  shaapuhtuwaan, a lodge  housing several families.

Excavations at FaFw-5 revealed multiple fireplaces, suggesting the people were living in a shaapuhtuwaan, a lodge housing several families.